Saturday 31 March 2012

A New Opportunity!

Good news! I have a new job!! As of next Tuesday (10th April) I will be working on Orkney for the RSPB!


I travelled all the way up to Orkney for the interview, which I hoped went well at the time, then a few hours later when I was on the ferry back to mainland Scotland I got a phone call asking if I wanted the job! And of course, I said yes! So, as of next Tuesday I will be working for the RSPB as the Warden on Papa Westray, a smaller island off of mainland Orkney (see map below). I will be responsible for monitoring the progress of the seabirds breeding in two different colonies, on two different islands! One at Noup Cliffs reserve on the island of Westray, and the other at North Hill on Papa Westray, where I will also be living! I will be leading guided tours around these reserves as well as surveying the other wildlife present and protecting the rare and declining Maritime Heath habitat, and species such as the Corncrake. It sounds like a brilliant job and I'm told that the people on the island are all very friendly and welcoming, so hopefully it will all go very well! Now I just have to sort everything out for moving up there! It's going to be colder than a summer in the south, that's for sure, but at least I'll be closer to Jason! I'll still be two ferry journeys away, but that's a lot closer than I am now!




Currently I'm still living on Holy Island, on my own as Jason has gone back up to Fair Isle to work there for his second season. However, I am now living in the staff flat instead of the cottage, as the tourist season here has begun and there are now some working holiday volunteers living in the cottage and volunteering up at the Castle during the day. It's a nice little flat though, so I don't mind moving. I'll be sad to leave this island as I've really enjoyed it here and the people are all really lovely, but I'm really glad that I managed to find something paid for this coming season! I'm sure that I'll come back to Holy Island to visit people, and I hope that they have enjoyed having me and Jason here as much as we enjoyed being here! A really lovely place, especially when it's sunny! I feel that it's a good thing that we didn't discover how good the Pilgrim's Cafe (next door) is until recently though, or we would both be leaving with no money! Such a lovely little place. If you ever do visit Holy Island, make sure you stop in for a cuppa!


I feel like it's all going to be quite hectic from now until I get settled in to my new cottage on Orkney, but I will try and find the time to update again with some photos when I get there, and keep you all informed! And if your stuck for a place to go on holiday this year, come for a visit! Wish me luck with my new job and my new home in a new place!

No comments:

Post a Comment